Dorsetdog - Foods poisonous to dogs

Topic quick jumps

Click here to see the list of poisonous foods Click here to see a list of toxic plants

This University site has an incredible searchable database for plants, and specific to various animals

Cornell University - Plants poisonous to livestock

Whilst some will say that their dog eats this or that, poisonous does not just mean that it will kill your dog instantly, but might have adverse effects on the dogs health over time which could help to reduce its life span.

This list is not exhaustive, so please add any that you are aware of

Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain Cyanogenic Glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans – though the fruit itself is OK.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Baby food: often contains onion powder, which is toxic for dogs.

Beer/Wine/Alcohol of any kind (Alcoholic beverages contain ethanol which can be lethal for canines of any kind. Could lead to coma or even death.)

Broccoli: Broccoli is only toxic in large quantities but is reported to be pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant

Caffeine: is a strong nervous system excitant that will cause vomiting and cause nervous system damage. Watch out for tea or other foods that may contain caffeine.

Cherry: rapid breathing, shock, mouth inflammation, heart rate increase

Chocolate: ( contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.) seizures, coma, hyperactivity, rapid heart beat, tremors, death. Bakers chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated but is still very dangerous.

• 1 oz per lb of body weight for (2 oz per kg) of body weight for bakers chocolate

• 1 oz per 3 lbs of body weight (1 oz per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate

• 1 oz per 9lbs of body weight (1 oz per 4 kg) for bakers chocolate

• Please keep in mind that these are only guidelines, and if you suspect your pet had ingested chocolate, please keep an eye out for ANY signs of poisoning! Every dog reacts differently to quantity.

Coffee/Tea: Drinks/Foods: containing caffeine or sugar may cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Cooked Bones: uncooked bones should be safe but if they are cooked you should refrain because they deteriorate and easily splinter. Can cause extensive damage to internal organs and passage ways, many times resulting in death.

Diary Products: (Dairy products don’t usually pose a great danger; but many dairy product have high fat content (see number 23) – and many pets are lactose intolerant – some pets more than others. Lactose intolerance leads to gas and diarrhoea; though small amounts of yoghurt and cheese are usually fairly well tolerated.)

Ethanol: used in Anti Freeze, Alcoholic beverages. Ethanol may also be present in yeast, so in case you are baking cakes or bread, keep your dog away while you are preparing the dough. Ethanol can be lethal for canines.

Excessive Fatty Foods: (Excess fatty foods can cause Pancreatitis.)

Grapes, Raisins, Prunes: (Dangerous because of an unknown substance which is toxic to dogs) kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure

Human asprin and paracetamol is poisonous to dogs

Iron: can be toxic for dogs, as it causes damage to the stomach and intestinal lining and may attack other internal organs also. Avoid any supplements that contain iron.

Liver: may be fed to dogs, but in low amounts; liver contains vitamin A and an excess of this vitamin may lead to bone and muscle damage.

Macadamia Nuts: (Macadamia nuts contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs.)

Mushrooms: (Mushrooms may contain toxins which could cause liver and kidney damage) acute gastric effects, liver and kidney damage, abdominal pain, nausea, salivation, vomiting

Moldy or Spoiled Food: (though I think this goes without saying.)

Nutmeg: tremors, seizures, central nervous system damage and death

Onion: (Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate. But onions are more of a danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic – garlic contains less of this toxin so huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. And, by the way, this poison builds up the system – it can be toxic in one large dose – or with repeated consumption of small amounts.) Gastrointestinal upset, hemolytic anemia, heinz body anemia, hemogloinria, destroys red blood cells

Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes: (Contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)

Persimmons: (Persimmons can cause intestinal blockage)

Raw Eggs and Raw Fish: (Raw eggs and some raw fish can cause Salmonella poisoning.) Many people feed raw eggs to their dogs but keep in mind that they can contain salmonella. Dogs do have a higher immunity against salmonella poisoning but are not immune and have been reported to get it from uncooked eggs.

Rhubarb leaves: (see potato above)

Salt: excessive intake can cause kidney problems

Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder: (In large amounts these can cause an electrolyte imbalance – and severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.)

Sugar-Free Foods: (Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol have been found to cause liver failure in some dogs.)

Tobacco: nausea, salivation, vomiting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)

Tomatoes - Green parts of: (Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)

Human Vitamins: (Human vitamins, especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system as well as cause kidney and liver damage)

Xylitol: sugar substitute Xylitol (found in Splendor, chewing gum, etc) has been found to cause liver failure in some dogs and is posionous to dogs. UK vets advise that one teaspoon will kill a GSD

Yeast Dough: (Yeast Dough can produce gas and swell in your pet’s stomach – leading to rupture of the digestive system)

Known Food Toxins To Dogs

Plants Poisonous to dogs

This Australian site also has a list of poisonous plants - which was

As you will see, there is a large number of plants that are toxic to dogs. Toxicity ranges from mild to life threatening depending on the plant, the amount consumed & the size of the dog.

Care should always be taken when it comes to choosing indoor & outdoor plants. If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, you should seek veterinary care immediately. Common symptoms of poisoning include;

• Mouth irritation

• Skin irritation

• Abdominal pains

• Drooling

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

• Convulsions/seizures

• Rapid, laboured breathing

• Staggering

• Muscle tremors

• Coma

• Death

More pages on the topic can be found at pet owners guide to flowers and plants